Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Nat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:29 pm   

Problem with %replace

Hi there! I apologise in advance if a solution to this has already been posted. I searched the forum but I coulden't find what I was looking for.

My problem is this:

A have a line like:

Contains the following 'abc1, def2, 123a, 456b'.

Im trying to strip the commas from this line and then make a trigger to fire off that new line but I simply can't manage to get %replace to replace the commas with a blank space. Any help is greatly appriciated.

Nat.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm   

#show %replace("abc1, def2, 123a, 456b",","," ")
#var test {abc1, def2, 123a, 456b}
#show %replace(@test,","," ")

both show:

abc1 def2 123a 456b
abc1 def2 123a 456b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:52 pm   

Ah thanks, I guess I didn't explain my problem properly though!

The line:
Contains the following 'abc1, def2, 123a, 456b'.

Will quite often be different from time to time, but from what i understand I cant use a wildcard in functions.
So, what i need to do is make a trigger to replace the commas from a line like this:

Contains the following '*, *, *, *'.

but have that trigger also match this same line

Contains the following '*, *, *, *, *, *, *'.

There could be between 1 and 30(ish) *'s in the line and i need a trigger that could match that and then put each of the *'s in a seperate variable. I had tried doing it and wasnt succeeding and though that if i stripped out the commas i could get it to work but then i couldent even get %replace to work because i cant use a wildcard. I hope that makes sense!
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:27 pm   

I think what Taz meant to show you in his subtle way and make you come to the conclusion on your own is use the trigger to populate the test variable

#trigger {^Contains the following ~'(*)~'.$} {#var test {%1};#echo %replace( @test, ",", "")}

Note to Taz: in reality, yours was generating:
Code:
abc1  def2  123a  456b
which has 2 spaces between the info rather than 1 which what I think was needed. Tho overall I don't think this answers the true question at all.
Might be needing one of those recuring thingies in the trigger...drawing a blank on what it is *mutter* was used just recently in another post. I'll see if I can find it.
Don't think i'll be any help tho cause special things in triggers and me just never seem to work. To this day I still can't get #cond to work for me.

EDIT:
reparse: execute new trigger pattern on same line as before (only usable with #COND)

SOOOO....can someone else help after this? ;-) Cause since he wants the info in a variable, i'll assume he wants to do something else with it. Which it would help if he gave a better idea of what exactly he wants and is trying to do.

Last edited by Vitae on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:36 pm   

Yep of course I used " " as the replacement, should have been "" instead. Yes you're correct that the simplistic testing shows that there is nothing wrong with %replace and that if you follow some simple rules you can apply it to your required problem as you have shown.

* EDIT: no need for others to help, your answer is the correct answer, take the whole lot between the ' using a * and perform the replace on it *
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: