Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
veek
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:27 am   

Pattern matching ANSI enclosed string, tick timers etc.

On New Moon, The room exits "There are four obvious exits: north, east, west and up." is in Green.
When mapping, i wanted to know if it was possible to pattern match on ANSI. The reason i want to do this is because it seems to be the only fool proof way to grab exit information.

2. In the docs:
#TRIGGER {(*) ~[(*)~] ~#(%d)} {#TAG name,exit,vnum {%1} {%2} {%3}}. What i wanted to know was - you are passing the matched pattern in %2 to some handling routine - does the handling routine then decipher the: north, south, upstairs, downstairs and get rid of the commas and junk (upstairs etc). Are the "north" "south" "n" "s" values hardcoded or can i change some global var and make "upstairs" as "n"?

zMUD seems to be rather complex :(. I didn't know what a trigger was untill a few days back. Is there any decent source of documentation on how MUD's work, what a heart beat is, what's a "Tick Timer" "Sync Timer". I have tried googling, but it's not very clear :(. My understanding is that there would be a base clock time for the whole MUD like we use seconds - is that the heartbeat value..So after so many basic units(heartbeats) have elapsed the kobolds come back unless they are already alive and kicking.

What's a tick timer then? and why do we need sync timer? Could someone point me to a decent src for a total newbie!
veek
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:14 am   

Okay, i got fed up with mudding so consider this question closed! Thanks for the help (in the previous questions though!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: