Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:38 pm   

balance trigger

hi i was really hopeing someone can help me out with this i'm trying to trigger a skill i have that requires balance though the trigger seems to be working fine its still trying to perform the action while i am off balance i don't have the actual syntax for what i used though this is what my triggers and such show

#TRIGGER You have recovered balance.
value= #VARIABLE balance 1

#TRIGGER You must regain balance.
value= #VARIABLE balance 0

#TRIGGER Your arms suddenly begin to feel leaden and heavy as the power in your soul
value= #IF (@balance=1);rouse soul

i've checked and re checked through everything even the knowledge base and i can't see whats wrong is there anything i'm missing or is it a syntax mistake i'll be thankful for any help
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:54 pm   

well, as I don't know what you want to do if you don't have balance, I'll assume it is nothing. Therefore, your trigger should have the value:

#IF (@balance=1) {rouse soul}
patrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:11 pm   

yes thats whats confusing me i did that the value is just whats shown in the trigger menu but i did that trigger again to be sure and its the same story
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:42 pm   

Is there another way to know if you don't have balance. Like a status indicator in your prompt or something like that? Because it seems that right now the trigger is setting the value of @balance correctly only after you have tried to perform and action and it tells you that you don't have balance yet. Otherwise, if you can't get that info from your prompt, then you would need to make aliases for ever command that results in you not having balance so that the value of the variable can be set correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:50 pm   

yes i can get the information from my prompt i'm just not entirely sure on how to go about that i thaught thats what the balance triggers did for when i recover balance and lose it with the variable values
patryn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:52 pm   

Show us what your prompt (with balance information) looks like
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:31 pm   

Also, don't forget to actually trigger phrases for things that make you lose balance. Your example only had a trigger for a message if you don't have it. So what is happening is this: at one point, you gained balance, so the variable was set to one. Now, despite the fact that you made another action, as far as I can tell you aren't telling anything to switch the variable to 0, so when you get that third trigger message, balance will still be 1 and your trigger to use rouse soul will still fire. At that point, it will give you the message for not having balance and set the variable to 0.

So, make sure you have any action that takes balance making your balance variable 0.
patrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:54 am   

hmm...ok i triggered the messages that make me lose balance and made the balance variable 0 i'm still having the same problem though i'm sure that would have helped i play imperian and have a basic prompt here it is H:253 M:242 <eb p>
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:25 pm   

I think I may pass this one off a little bit. Typically, when variables for me aren't working like this I start tracking what they are. However, as I thought, you are playing an IRE game. Larkin may be able to hit the nail on the head with this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: