Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Lobes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:20 pm   

Check for new version

I am running zMUD 7.21 (love it by the way).

However, every time I use the menu to check for a new version:

Help -> Check for New Version

It always says the following for latest version:

"The latest version of zMUD is: 7.20a"
"You are running version: 7.21"

Just thought that was interesting.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:37 pm   

Yeah, I know about that one. Back when I was releasing 7.20, 7.20a, then 7.21 there were just so many updates that I didn't want to bother everyone with the 7.21 announcement. The only difference between 7.20a and 7.21 is how zMUD works with zMapper, so this effects a very small number of people. Changing the version causes a new popup screen for everyone running zMUD and I just didn't want to bug everyone again.

What I'm probably going to do is bump the server version to 7.21 when CMUD is released so that people coming to the site to get 7.21 will also see CMUD and think about upgrading, but I haven't decided yet.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:08 am   

Since you're so focused on CMud moreorless at the expense of ZMud, how easy would it be to make the zmud updater aware of CMud? Seems to me that plugging CMud's progress and development from within ZMud would be a great way to target the zmud holdouts who haven't upgraded yet. This probably wouldn't even have to take into account the more complex issues such as determining payment status from your 2-year plan setup since 1)CMud's newer and more active and 2)sufficiently different in a technical sense that auto-updating of CMud from ZMud would not be a good idea (or even possible).
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:08 pm   

Built into the auto-updater is a method for posting a news message to zMUD users. I've never used this mechanism before, but plan to try to use it to notify zMUD users about CMUD. It won't let you do an "auto-upgrade" or anything like that...it's just a simple popup message that people running zMUD will see once.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:05 pm   

That could be really cool. I assume a similar feature will exist in CMud, and that possibly it would be tied to the package-sharing thing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: