Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:17 pm   

zMUD v7.13 released

OK, after a *lot* of debugging and help from various people, I finally tracked down the memory overwrite bug in v7.12 that was causing all of the problems.

It was a tough one. Didn't show up with all of the Delphi Range-checking turned on, and didn't show up in the AQTime memory leak and API testing.

Anyway, the bug is fixed in 7.13, along with a few other minor things that I came across when I was trying to track down the problem.

It is possible that if you have the AutoSave option enabled (which is the default), that when you used 7.12 and exited after a crash, your settings file might have gotten corrupted. So if you end up with wierd settings problems, try using a settings file from an older version, or follow the Migration Guide instructions for creating a new settings file and importing your old values. Hopefully this didn't effect many people.

Everyone using 7.12 should definitely download 7.13. The bug in 7.12 is severe and will eventually mess up your character settings.

Thanks for your patience on this. Hopefully everything is finally all fixed now.
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:32 am   Still having issues with settings files corrupting

Ok, just uninstalled 7.12 to give a nice clean slot for 7.13. Using winxp pro sp1, zmud 7.13.

Created a new mud profile, edited and made an inherited file, these are the steps taken:

Create new mud in the mudlist (since i never install it, i just make my own of the muds I do frequent), fill in the data, click on edit.

Change the title to my character name, then click on files
subfolder: mudname
primary: character.mud
inherited: mudname.mud
layout: mudname/charname.lay

save the changes, connect, open settings, open inherited, add a new alias
alias name: test
action: say testing
file: save
save on the game, quit
log back in on the character, and it complains about the inherited file being corrupted.... test the alias it works fine...

Note that this is with a CLEAN install of 7.13. I have been doing cleans as it narrows down the possibility of importing being done improperly, besides, i had not yet had time to configure zmud anyway, so it wasnt a loss. Would greatly appreciate this being looked into.

Also... attempted opening compass.zsc as I have found myself always wonderring about that image, and just surfed the forum and found out about it... well, when i tried that, it is also corrupted... something wierd is still going on.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:57 am   

Thank you!!! That's *exactly* what I needed...a clean, step-by-step approach to find this error.

Turns out, when I edit my inherited settings, I do it a bit differently. And there *was* a bug in the settings Save method that was creating a corrupted settings file when using the Open Inherited menu in the settings editor. In fact, this bug has been in zMUD for a long time from what I can tell.

I was able to fix this and was then able to create a new inherited settings file without getting any corruption. Of course, as usual, changes to the inherited settings are only loaded when you reload the character. But it worked fine.

I'm not sure what other circumstances would trigger this error. Might have just been with inherited settings, but it might have also gotten triggered when editing multiple files in the setting editor.

In any case, I have uploaded v7.13a to the web site, so download this new version and the problem with be fixed.

I can't promise that I'll fix every single remaining bug that people report, but if you post as good as a report as this one, the chances are a lot better. This is an excellent example to everyone on how to make a good bug report.

So congratulations, you get a quick new version to reward your good post. It's always nice to fix any remaining bugs that can cause corrupted settings. I'm just surprised more people haven't enountered this problem.
YpsiloN2
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:20 am   

Zugg wrote:
In any case, I have uploaded v7.13a to the web site, so download this new version and the problem with be fixed.

your upgrade thingie doesnt seem to work correctly - it reports that you have new upgrade available and lets me choose to "Upgrade now", "Do not upgrade" and "Ask again later" ... when I pick Upgrade now, it downloads 7.13 (not 7.13a) and does this install ... after the install is done, it suggest again to upgrade when I check for available upgrades starting to download the same 7.13 again.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:28 am   

YpsiloN2 wrote:
Zugg wrote:

your upgrade thingie doesnt seem to work correctly - it reports that you have new upgrade available and lets me choose to "Upgrade now", "Do not upgrade" and "Ask again later" ... when I pick Upgrade now, it downloads 7.13 (not 7.13a) and does this install ... after the install is done, it suggest again to upgrade when I check for available upgrades starting to download the same 7.13 again.

Ya, the download on the site and from within zMud is 7.13, even though they both say 7.13a.

I'm sure Zugg will fix it when he reads this, though.
DeathDealer
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:24 pm   

Funny thing, when i started up Zmud today it said the current one was 7.12!
Still using the 7.05 version.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:47 pm   Zmud 7.13a

hey guys, a does not have a denote on the exe. I learned it by mistake cuz i still had the original 7.13 and reinstalled it, download the 7.13a manually and install it :) it does work, and i HIGHLY recommend rebooting after the install/upgrade. If for some reason you still have problems, backup your settings to txt files, save it all, unlicense, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot, import. I know for certain that the 7.13a fixes it, as I tested it several times. At first it wasnt working as it was using the original, after a clean install with the proper exe file, it made one error, so i rebooted, and the error was gone, seems that it was needing the reboot to reinitialize the dll files or something. dunno. Anyways, THANK YOU ZUGG!. I was going nuts, for me, the inherited files are the most important part right now, lol
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:25 pm   Re: Zmud 7.13a

demoneyoungblood wrote:
hey guys, a does not have a denote on the exe. I learned it by mistake cuz i still had the original 7.13 and reinstalled it, download the 7.13a manually and install it :) l

Where did you download 7.13a?

I tried both with the automatic updater and downloading from the site and they both had 7.13 not 7.13a.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:14 am   

Quote:

Where did you download 7.13a?

That's a rather stupid question to ask considering who runs these forums... Wink

Just to make it crystal-clear, Zugg does NOT use the x.xxa notation for his filenames. He keeps that sort of "stupid crap" on the boards as a simple, effective way to let everyone know he just uploaded a fixed version. Besides, if he has to change the link on the website or the filename in the application code there's a chance he may forget to change something.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:13 am   Thought I made it pretty clear...

Like you guys even quoted.... I stated that the a is not denoted. The file name is still zmud713.exe not zmud713a.exe (not sure thats the exact name) but i know that the file is correct on here.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:10 pm   

All I know is that I installed the zmud713.exe and it kept telling me that I needed to update to 7.13a. So I downloaded and updated and got the same message that I had 7.13 and needed to update to 7.13a. Did this about five times before I gave up.

Now today it is telling me the current version is 7.13 and I am up to date.

Confused
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:30 pm   

I changed the file online so that it only says 7.13 since this was causing a problem (the file checked by the "Check for update" in zMUD).
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:47 am   

I have re-uploaded the 7.13a version. Somehow it got overwritten with the original 7.13 on the web site. Have no idea how that happened.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: