Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Vodoc
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:33 am   

[BUG] 7.13b - Fail to start (install via remote)

Zugg from another thread wrote:
Oh, and in case some people care, this new 7.13b version of zMUD also has Remote Desktop support enabled. eLicense did some fixes to this and I think it's ok to use it now with zMUD.

This is a feature I have been waiting a long time before since I often use zMUD via remote desktop. It doesn't seem to be working very well though Sad

I was (and am) sitting via remote desktop when I uninstalled the old version (7.13) without unregistering eLicence. Downloaded the new version and installed it over the old settings.
Choosed "run application" or whatever it says at the end of the installation and the splashscreen loaded, had time to notice it saying "7.13b" and then did the application die without a trace; no message and no leftovers in the taskmanager. Tried to run it again with the same result. Decided to do "the old trick" by putting zMUD in autostart and restart it via remote and wait to login until everything has loaded. Did this only to find out that zMUD still hadn't loaded properly (that is: no trace of zMUD running at all).

This is on WinXP SP2 with all the updates.

Update:
Did a "clean" installation by uninstalling 7.13b and removing everything in the zMUD folder except for the receipt (still no unregistering of eLicence though). Then did I install it again into the folder and this time did it start without a glitch. Continued with copying back my settings for the two muds I play regularly (copied 2 folders, dictionary files, chardb.db and 3 layout files from the old installation). Everything seems to be back to normal now and works flawlessly via remote desktop (everything of this was done via remote).

Thanks again for a wonderful product Zugg!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:55 pm   

Glad you got it working. I'd normally tell people *not* to try and install zMUD via Remote Desktop. This can cause problems with eLicense. You should normally install zMUD on the computer you are using, and then only use Remote Desktop to play zMUD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: