Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Anara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:49 pm   

Tick Timers & Alarms

Let me start by saying: Yes, I have read through the help files and still have some questions.

I have created a tick timer (#TS 60 at the command prompt) and created a trigger to #TS at sunrise.

1) Do I need to reset the timer (eg #TS 99) each time I logon? I'm assuming yes.

1a) Is it safe to do this atconnect or should i wait until after login and trigger it from the "its been xx hours since your last login?"

2) I will need to "tweak" the timer (eg #TS) based on sun/moon cycles. Since I log on at different times during the day, I have created a tweak (#TS) at dawn, a new day beings, noon, the sun sets and night begins. I figured that regardless of when i logged on it would not be too long until one of those occured.

The problem I ran into is that the #TS kept resetting the timer to different amount (72, 99, 125 and now 99 again). Are multiple timers screwing up the #TS?

I just can't seem to get the timer synched up with the mud.

As another question along the same vein. Now that I have the tick timer set up appropriately, if I wanted to say set an event (a #SA warning the sun is setting two hours and one hour before the actual event), how would I go about this most efficiently? Obviously an alarm, but triggered from what? X ticks after noon?

Thanks for the help!
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:32 pm   

1) It's best to wait until you are actually logged in.
2) Use one (or all) of these to reset the timer. #TS without a number is supposed to adjust the time period, so the changes just reflect that your tick isn't exactly 60. If you don't want it to change then always supply the number.
#TR {the day begins} {#TS 60}
3) If you know how many ticks after noon the sun sets, and you know how long a tick is, then you can indeed set alarms at noon. The tick timer isn't involved, just simple math (X * 60).
#TR {The clock chimes noon} {#ALA +240 {#SAY "WARNING: The sun is setting in two hours"};#ALA +300 {#SAY "WARNING: The sun is setting in one hour"}}

Most scripts in this forum are written for Command Line entry.
Don't even open the Settings Editor unless its use is specified or obvious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: