Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Cleaner

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:48 am   

'Trigger on trigger' persists

Using 7.05.

I deselected "Trigger on trigger" for both the #sub trigger that produces the output as well as the #sub triggers that're not supposed to check it again. (Which then substitutes the text again.)

I have deactivated "Trigger on commands" under Script Parser->General and it still does the same.

I had to resort to four seperate triggers. I have since exported only these triggers to a blank character so that no other triggers could influence the process.

If I missed something vital already, you don't have to read the rest of the post :-) Just point out my flaw thanks :p

I can't really post the trigger on here because it's huge and relies on variables too. If you want to view the script it is downloadable from my website, www.geocities.com/muddingmook/files/subs.txt

The mud I play changed combat damage messages but several people (mostly oldbies like myself) did not like the new system. I set out to make #sub triggers to change the messages back, but only succeeded partially. The old format was very basic:
"You <how hard you hit> <your opponent> with your <damage type>."
"You totally ANNIHILATE the mercenary with your stab."
The new system is like this:
"You <an indication of %hp removed from opponent> <opponent> with your <how hard you hit> <damage type>."
"You critically injure the mercenary with your deadly stab."
Since I'm only bothering with how much damage was dealt, I only look at the <how hard you hit> part from the new system. Because I only have "with your" to seperate the opponent input from the damage and damtype input, it complicates matters because the words at the end of the line do not follow a set pattern.
Of all damtypes on the mud, only one consists of two words, so I have that in a seperate trigger.
A few of the new system's <how hard you hit> words are equavelant to two of the old system's damage message.
When it's an average hit, there is no <how hard you hit> part, and it only displays the damtype:
"You wound the mercenary with your stab."
This I put into a trigger of its own using (%w) and no field for <how hard you hit> in the pattern.
The main trigger caters for almost anything, and it is this trigger's output which gets checked again by the other three. It only happens with two types of the damage message output:
"You DECIMATE <opponent> to tiny bits and pieces with your <damtype>."
"You MASSACRE <opponent> to small fragments with your <damtype>."
These are then substituted again into:
"You <damtype> <opponent> quite hard."
Which would have been perfect if the above lines were from the mud.

I KNOW there is an easy solution to this problem (change the output message a little) but I would like to know why it is behaving in this manner and what I can do about it. Besides, the people who will want to use the script would want the original messages back. :p

Well thanks for reading the long post. If you hand in this ->TOKEN<- at the reception desk you can get a free soda. :-)

Cleaner

ps. for those who insist on not browsing somewhere else I could copy/paste the script into a post on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: