Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
copterman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:32 pm   

Question about Automapper (which I love!)

I am new to MUDs and to ZMud. I absolutely love it!

I have a question about automapper. Whenever I type in NE or W or whatever, there are no problems. It will follow me in follow mode and it will create a new room if I'm creating a new map.

BUT if I type Swim NE or Swim W or whatever, it doesn't understand that I'm moving so my cursor stays put in follow mode and no room is created in map mode.

I thought that maybe I could make an alias that goes like this:
swim ne = ne; swim ne

This would work in follow mode because the cursor would automatically move NE and then after a message telling me there is water to the NE, I'd swim NE.

That still doesn't help me solve the problem of how to map while swimming.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Loto
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:50 pm   

If I'm understanding you correctly, after you get into the room type make the alias #ALIAS swim {%1;~swim %1;#LOOK}

Basically the same as what you have, but #LOOK. That I think will refresh the room
copterman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:00 pm   

I'll try it! Thanks so much.

By the way, how do you guys know all this? What the heck is %1 supposed to mean? I fear I'll never attain this program's full capabilities.
Y3KPanic
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:49 pm   

hmm, I'm getting a syntax error when I make the alias, from the #LOOK command

%1 is the word that you type after swim, it's like a string variable
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:38 pm   

The best way to handle those irritating water hazards and mud-coders that make characters so stupid they have to be told to swim is by adding 'swim direction' to each of the #DIRECTION settings. They are in something like System|Directions and System|DirectionDiag classes by default. Next add a trigger like '#TR {I don't know how to get there unless you tell me to swim} {#SEND {swim %lastdir}}'. Finally the mapper is happy, so are the mud-coders, and you can rest easier knowing that your character now can figure out he/she/it has to swim because of zMud.

If you can't guess I am a firm believer that characters should be told what to do, not how to do it.

Edit: forgot a set of braces, they are there now though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: