Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
rocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:05 am   

() in trigs

I have this line of code i want to switch to another window named foo.
[ 5] A/D ( 1%) You cut sand crab deeply in the head.
And to just put my hits in the window, need to have the trig run off of this part of that "A/D ( 1%) You" but i seem to be having a problem as the ( 1%) is seen by the trigger as a wildcard instead of actual text, any help on this?
Firewalker
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:49 am   

Try triggering on
~[ %d~] A/D ~(%*~) You cut sand crab deeply in the head.
rocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:53 am   

doesnt work
Firewalker
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:04 am   

It seems to work for me based on your example, how does the output vary? What do you wish to happen when the text is triggered?
rocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:16 am   

acutally got it, i changed the special chara for quotes and that is what does it, thanks. Next question though =) Taking something like this, RDMP 41 MONSTER_HEALTH little crab 30
how do i put the "little crab" into a variable considering the names can be anywhere from one word to 4 words long, not just two?
Firewalker
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:25 am   

%* will match any length of text and white space. If you need a variable you can change your trigger to put the text you are matching in () and then reference it in the trigger. For example #TR {You cut (%*) deeply in the head.} {#SHOW %1} will echo the mob name to the screen without saving it to a permanant variable. Otherwise you can do something like #TR {You cut (%*) deeply in the head.} {#VAR monster %1} to store the name to the variable monster.
rocky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:34 am   

It is catching the full name into the %1 now, but when i put it into #VAR monster %1 and display the @monster, it only shows the first word instead of the whole name
Firewalker
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:37 am   

Then put the parameter in quotes, ie #VAR monster "%1"
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:43 pm   

I'd suggest avoiding the use of %* in your trigger patterns. It is dangerous and could allow someone to "hack" your zMUD and execute commands, as pointed out in the documentation. Using * works for 99% of patterns that use the %*. Go with that instead.

Larkin
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:32 pm   

The security concerns are really only if you capture it. If you do need to in current public versions, then you must capture it directly to a variable via the trigger pattern and be _very_ careful about referring to it properly everywhere (only safe way known is %expand(@VarName, 1))

However, in the latest beta versions (and the upcoming public version), %* is unnecessary as * will match everything and properly quotes its arguments to avoid this security issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: