Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kinson
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:53 pm   

Capturing data to variables, part 2

I posted a few days ago about the problem I was having getting a trigger to store braces and double quotes to a variable. It was recommended that I use the &varname method, which has worked perfectly:

^* is auctioning &db_item_name ~(Level *, Num (*)~). Current bid is *.$

Now I'm encountering another problem. No matter what method I use to try and store the data to a variable (the data being the part above where I'm using &db_item_name), I cannot get the trigger to fire if the item name includes a @ sign.

I've even tried (briefly, as I'm aware of the risks it imposes) the wildcard capture method, which didn't work.

So I'm sort of back to the drawing board on this one. Does anyone know a method I could use that can store braces, double quotes, AND @ signs?

Thanks very much,

Adam
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:12 am   

As per the help page Pattern Matching...the &variableName syntax default to an * wildcard, but supports controlling the wildcard in the format: &wildcardvariableName.

If you therefore use "&%*db_item_name" it will capture all special characters. The caveats to protect yourself from possible problems are to always use %expand(@db_item_name,1) everywhere you reference the variable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: