Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
shahvani

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:32 pm   

Diligently learning

Hello all,

I am NOT one of those people that comes here expecting someone else to to all the hard work while I remain willfully ignorant -- rather, I am sincerely trying to learn.

That being said, I've mastered simple triggers, aliases and am getting smarter on simple variables, but I now have a need that I can't seem to wrap my mind around. I'm sure if someone could explain it to me...

**Using 5.5**

I want to create an alias, "VD". By executing this alias, I want it to perform the MUD vibes command ("vibes") which reveals what crystalism vibrations have been embedded in the room, and by whom.

Here's where it gets tricky: After VD has executed vibes, I'd like it to parse the data so that ANY vibration found in the room which was embedded by my already-set target is returned, and then another alias is executed which takes each discovered vibration and dampens it, with a #wait 2000 between each command to regain equilibrium.

To demonstrate my current scripting level, I'll explain here what I tried (and you should know that it was a horrible failure which crashed my entire system with a deadly loop):

Alias
name: vd
commands: vibes
#wait 2000
vibecount

Alias
name: vibecount
#target %1 (*) @target
#wait 2000
dampen %1

Thanks - I hope I haven't frustrated anyone with a novice question.

JLS
Eyeless
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:35 am   

Im not quite sure if I understand what you're exactly after here, but lemme take a stab... (Im no expert, so hopefully you can get a Guru to help if I at all lead you astray)

First of all I see a couple of problems... Im not sure what #target command is in zmud Im guessing you are trying to set up a variable called "target"? the proper way to do that would be: #var target %1... but this doesnt really solve your problem because you havent specified %1 (this would require a trigger in your case) as I understand

so heres my stab:
#alias vb {vibes)
#TR {text output from mud (%w)}{#var target %-1;vibecount}
#alias vibcount {#wait 2000;dampen @target;#wait 2000}

The trigger here requires something static to extract the text you want... for example maybe you vb and get a message like: "You see: an uber crystal" then trigger would look like this: #TR {You see: (%w)}{#var target %-2;vibecount}

That should set your variable target to "uber crystal" and then run vibecount which will send the command dampen uber crystal to the mud
shahvani

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:41 pm   

Okay, I think I've a good grip of what you've said. That being, the problem appears to lie with the trigger, because the VIBE command to the MUD reveals this:

The following vibrations reside here:
Vibration Owner Seconds left
-------------------------------------------------------------
Oscillate Ronxta 759

How can I trigger the vibration (to execute the vb alias) as a result of this command?

Many thanks for your help.
Eyeless
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:44 pm   

I would have to ask this: does the word vibration always appear in a crystal name? If not, Im not sure how to capture the next line of text, you would have to ask a GURU

if Vibration appears at beginning of every Crystal try this: #TR {^Vibration}{vb}
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: