Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
StackAdder
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:23 pm   

Dynamic mudserver reconnection

Just a quicky.
As a Uni project I am working on a distributed mud server architecture, and as part of the load balancing scheme, I want to be able to tell a client to reconnect to a different server 9therfore diff address and port).
I think I can write a script to do this in ZMud (any suggestions of suitable scripts would be neat as I am currently not in ZMud scripting mode, however)
The real question is, if we get the dmsa working, is there any sensible way this sort of functionality could be incorporated into the protocols used (or is it already there...?)

This would, of course, also be of use in increasing mud robustness as well as (hopefully) improving latency issues and server balance.
Toetag
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:35 pm   

The #SESSION command is probably what you are looking for:

Trigger:

Server tells you to reconnect. host: (*) port (%d)

Value:

#SESSION %1 %2

I made up that trigger btw, not sure what the server in your project might actually send..
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:59 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by StackAdder

Just a quicky.
As a Uni project I am working on a distributed mud server architecture, and as part of the load balancing scheme, I want to be able to tell a client to reconnect to a different server 9therfore diff address and port).
I think I can write a script to do this in ZMud (any suggestions of suitable scripts would be neat as I am currently not in ZMud scripting mode, however)
The real question is, if we get the dmsa working, is there any sensible way this sort of functionality could be incorporated into the protocols used (or is it already there...?)

This would, of course, also be of use in increasing mud robustness as well as (hopefully) improving latency issues and server balance.

You probably want to look at the MXP protocol http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/mxp.htm

The <RELOCATE> tag listed there might be interesting Smile
StackAdder
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:52 pm   

ah yes thanks both - session will do nicely while testing and MXP implementation looks like a sensible option overall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: