Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Garrison
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:29 pm   

Using built in mapper and walking.

Hi again all!

Ok..I've tried to read through the help files, etc about using the built in mapper with 6.62 and I am still lost :(

My main questions are:
1) do you have to connect zones together in order to do the "walk to room" ? (I assume you would have to)
2) how do you connect zones together?

Next question:
Why, when mapping, do I sometimes get rooms that overlap each other (like a double entry)?

Simple Example: if i start in room 1, walk 2 rooms north (creating 2 more rooms) and then walk back to room 1, sometimes I get a double entry of the new rooms and room 1.

So far, I've just deleted those extra rooms and re-set my point on the map.

Um..I think that's all I can think of :)

Thanks!!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:52 am   

Question #1: you can only walk to a room you have mapped AND the room is connected to the map (meaning there are a series of exit links running from your current position to the destination room). If the room is somehow not connected to anything then the mapper can't figure out the path needed to get there. To connect zones where each zone already contains the connecting rooms, simply manually draw a link from one room to the other:

1)click on the Link tool
2)click on the exit zone of the connecting room's box (in other words, if you want to go northeast from this room, you'd click on the upper right corner). A line should appear leading away from that direction and to wherever your mouse cursor (when over the map) is.
3)click on the other zone and load it up
4)click on the matching exit leading into that room (in the above example, you'd now click on the lower left corner to complete the NE-SW link). A line with a label containing the name of the other zone should appear.

If you want to map the area out first and then send the whole section to the other zone, simply map as normal. After mapping, highlight the rooms you want to move and press CTL-G (Move rooms to zone). Select the zone from the list, or make a new zone, and click the ok button. When it loads/is created, press CTL-V (paste) and adjust position if needed. The connecting link should appear with the labels.

Question #2: you get overlapping rooms when the room you are moving into is not the same as the one ZMud thinks you should be in. If they line up and you can verify the difference is something extremely minor (ie, a small description change), you can safely MERGE the rooms together without ill effect. The reason this happens usually stems from some flaw in your mapper configuration or #TAG triggers.
Znake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:51 pm   

Just wondering 'cause i get that multiple rooms thingie (moving between 2 rooms and creating new room everytime)
And that happens all the time (hasn't worked in a single room when i think about it)

mapper worked great with 6.16 and if my memory serves that was the reason that i went back to 6.16 after trying newer version.

BUT 6.16 is getting old and i would like to know how can i get 6.62 mapper to work.. i have tried just about every setting there is, but not helping.. what should i do.. rollback to 6.16?
Kronas
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:50 am   

when your mapping and you come to and end turn off the edit and do normal follow back to next point to start creating more rooms.If you going back over rooms in edit mode, then you will double up.And if you want to link up from 1 zone to another then just pick a room in edit mode and select move room to that zone.So in fact when you leave 1 zone you will then continue in the new zone and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: