Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
worldbinder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:12 am   

Mapping MUD with seperate Day/Night rooms

I am trying to use the built-in zMud mapper to map the Carrion Fields MUD. On this mud, some areas have different room names and/or descriptions, depending on whether it is daytime or nighttime. Is there a way to map a room twice, once with each description, and tell the mapper that these are the same room?

Right now, if I map a room at day, the mapper gets confused if I move through it at night, and vice versa. That, and if I create a seperate map for the zone during the day, and on for the zone at night, it becomees difficult to move between them and maintian my position as time passes.

Any insight would be appreciated,
Thanks
Cuttlefish
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:57 am   

Does the room name change, or is it just the description?
worldbinder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:14 am   

Unfortunately both change. I don't think the mapper itself will be able to solve this.

I am toying around with the possibility of mapping both the day and night room sets seperately, and creating a database that links the two copies of the room to each other somehow. Then I can use a trigger on the current time (which is in my prompt) to move me to the proper room if the time changes...But I don't really know enough about zmud programming, and what functions there are for controlling the mapper to do this yet.

Ugh..
Cuttlefish
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:09 pm   

Yeah, I think you're going to be screwed if the room name changes. Even with the room description changing, zMUD can think it's a new room. This is easily solved by just doing a merge. Normally, though, what I do is turn off map creation mode when I'm in an area I've already mapped and only turn it back on when I'm going into uncharted territory.
john_taylor_jr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:14 pm   

The alternative is mapping everything once during the day.
Start a new map for the night and just load each one when it changes from day to night
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:53 pm   

Heh, maybe next round of beta's we can convince Zugg to allow multiple names and descriptions for each room, based on something in your prompt. The day/night/weather hurdle I think is the last big hurdle the automapper has to overcome. You could always change mud Wink (shameless plug) hehe. Nah but seriously I think for now just make two big zones - a day zone and a night zone, map the whole mud in day time and in night time, then all you should have to do is make a trigger on something like "The sun sets in the west." and "The sun rises in the east." or whatever the message is where it changes from day to night, then make that trigger issue a "#FIND" to put you in the other room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: