Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Brains

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 6:03 pm   

*working* eLicense remover?

In short: I installed Zmud, then uninstalled Zmud. Then I discovered that eLicense leaves little pieces of itself all over the system, read the FAQ, downloaded and ran the uninstaller... BUT ELICENSE CRAP IS STILL ON MY SYSTEM! Where's a working uninstaller??
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:00 pm   

Go to http://www.zuggsoft.com/zmud/elicense.htm and read the eLicense FAQ. Towards the bottom is a link to the eLicense uninstaller that will remove the eLicense control panel from your system.
Brains

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:12 am   

Note that I did read the FAQ and run the uninstaller. All the uninstaller appears to do is remove the icon from the control panel; the service is still running!

After digging around in my system and identifying some resources that I didn't recognize, I have written up a short (and probably dangerous) guide to actually stop eLicense from running once installed on a Windows 98 system, instead of the one that just removes icons and allows the service to remain running.

---
eLicense component/service removal
Tested on Windows 98SE *only*

EDIT registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunServices
DELETE the key that contains the "runservice.exe" (oh so obscurely named?) value.

DELETE registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREViaTech
(ViaTech is the company responsible for eLicense)
DELETE registry key HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareViaTech

Restart system.
DELETE %windows%runservice.exe
DELETE %windows%systemmmf.sys

Rejoice! Icky eLicense service is no longer using your system resources! (Might still have left other inert files around, though.)
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:54 am   

Might I recommend that those people with ViaTech motherboards / hardware be careful about which keys to delete under the ViaTech key in the registry.
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:59 am   

Just rebooting and starting in safe mode will allow deletion of the specified files, in my travels through the windows registry there are more keys than the ones listed here to properly remove elicense, and theyre in that crappy encrypted format that isnt legible in English. Sad
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:54 pm   

If we only had people this passionate about real-life's real problems. Maybe then we would all live in a better world...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: