Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:49 pm   

wrong password for autologin

I don't actually use login. I've disabled it anywhere I can see it. This is my first time logging onto this mud from my new computer though. Zmud 6.40.
The screen looks like this:

By what name shall we know thee?

COMPRESSION OK
Password:

Wrong password.
Password:

* So, i'm not entering anything when it comes up with wrong password the first time, i'd like to find what is making it do that and turn it off. However, if i then enter my password manually at the second prompt, I can log in fine. So, it's more a nuisance than a functionality problem. Thanks in advance.
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:56 pm   

My guess is that the MUD is sending a telnet option but then when zMUD sends the appropriate response, it interprets that as password input instead of as a telnet option.

Several things were changed in zMUD between 6.16 and 6.40 in regard to telnet options to make it more standards adherent. So if this has caused a problem with this MUD, its quite possible that your MUD doesn't implement the options properly and can't deal with a client that does.

Post a host/port and some of us can see if this is indeed the case. In the mean time, you might try turning off Strict Telnet and seeing if that helps (View, Preferences, General, click + next to General, Emulation, uncheck Strict Telnet).

- Charbal
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:39 pm   

trying to connect to materia magica
216.30.107.50 port: 4000
I turned off strict telnet and it still does it.
The thing is, I never had auto login before, not in any version. So I don't know why it would try to send a password in the first place when I enter my name.
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:32 pm   

Anyone have any ideas?
Emit
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:19 am   

i logged on to test this and noticed the behaviour you described, but, i ran into some problems testing this: they don't like many quick connections, after about 5 connections the server told me to wait 5 minutes :P
this is definitely some telnet negotiation problem, i turned it off altogether (the top checkbox on the right in preferences|general|emulation) and it stopped thinking i sent a wrong password. I've had this problem before, they are sending telnet negotiation, and then not properly filtering out the response. When i setup and enabled the auotlogin, the password was sent before the negotiation, and i connected ok. my advice is to set up your autologin, turn it on, and you shouldn't see this problem again.

--------

moon.icebound.net:9000
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:30 am   

Makes sense. I don't think I set up the autolog trigger correctly though. I checked enable autologin in the preferences. I added 2 new triggers.
First trigger is:
Pattern: By what name shall we know thee?
Value: #CH

Second trigger is:
Pattern:
Password:
Value: #PW; #T- Autolog

But when i reconnect to the mud, it doesn't fill in my character name or password. What am I missing?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:47 am   

On the Options tabs of those triggers, make sure you have Trigger on Prompt checked. Newline should be unchecked.

LightBulb
Advanced Member
Emit
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:51 am   

I'm assuming you filled in the appropriate boxes with character name and password? if you delete the two triggers you made, and delete the entries in these boxes, keeping the checkbox checked, the next time you connect zmud should catch your first two inputs and set everything up for you. Trying to create them on your own you might have run into problems with editing those system classes, i think 6.40 is just deleting whatever changes you made there.

--------

moon.icebound.net:9000
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:04 am   

Ok, I deleted the 2 triggers I tried making.
I went into settings --> general --> command parser and made sure enable auto login was checked. I also edited the character file for it by entering my username and password in the boxes provided. No wizard came up and asked me anything, and it still does the initial wrong password after manually typing in my username.

So, I'm at a loss still. I don't know where it's getting this password from that it's entering. And I don't know how to make the auto wizard pop up so that I could possibly reset it. Any further guidance would be appreciated.
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:12 am   

Sorry, it's late. I didn't see Lightbulbs post until after because it was smaller.

I re-entered the 2 triggers I had, checked prompt and unchecked newline, and made sure my name and password were entered in the character file, and I no longer get the wrong password prompt, and it does autolog me in.

Thanks to all of you for your suggstions, it is working. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: