Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Lygaios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:34 pm   

Automapper changing links to one-way

I've run into a problem with the automapper feature on two totally different MUDs. I will map a section of the world fine, and close the session. Later, when I go back into the map, a few (maybe a handful out of several thousand) links have been mysteriously changed to one-way. I can detect no pattern as to which links will be affected, and the same links do not seem to be changed more than once (so far). The time to change them back is not a problem, but, as I map more and more rooms, it is difficult to remember which links are legitimately one-way, and which have been randomly changed.

Has anyone else run into this problem and, if so, is there a reasonable cure? TIA.

-Lygaios
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:27 pm   

Not positive but I think this might happen because links are only one-way.

Two one-way links make a regular link. So...
If you move from roomA to roomB, a one-way link is created. The mapper shows a regular link, but the roomB to roomA link is untested(and not really created) until you move from roomB to roomA.

If you close the map before moving from roomB to roomA, only one link is saved. Because only one one-way link has been saved, a one-way link is shown when you reopen the mapper.

This may or may not be what you're experiencing.
Lygaios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:39 pm   

I don't think that's happening. First, there are WAY too few rooms showing up with one-way links - I know I haven't travelled both ways on the majority of my links. Secondly, I can log on, stay in one small area, log off and then, when I log back on again, there might be a link or two show up as one-way in an area I did not traverse in the previous session. The biggest problem is that I can see no common denominator for when a link changes and when it doesn't and I certainly cannot reproduce it predictably. Thanks for the idea, though.

-Lygaios
Gnord
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:20 pm   

Yes, I've seen this too. Duris: Land of the Bloodlust has a 300x300 room worldmap. After mapping most of it, my roomate and I found a significant number of strange one way links. Eventually, it stopped doing it. I don't know why.

There's settings you can change, or fiddle with that may improve results:

Config (dropdown)
Configuration Settings (option)
interface (option in the leftside tree)

Try fiddling with the settings here and see if it gives better results. Other than that, I don't honestly know what would help.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:06 pm   

I had this issue with Achaea some times, but found it mostly occured from bad linkages when entering a previously mapped room and the mapper not picking things up right. It would then make a new room instead and if I just simply deleted the new room, after a bit I would see a one way link to the room I came from as it's return link no longer pointed to anything.
Lygaios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:10 pm   

That actually sounds like it might fit my situation, also. I'll see if I can nail it down by checking whenever I get a bad overwrite on a room. Thanks for the idea.

-Lygaios
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: