Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Jonesey

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:37 am   

lisense key

Im reformatting my hard drive and was wondering if i have to remove the lisence before i do so. Can i just install it with that same lisence? this is the 3rd of 3 lisences so i cant just use a different lisence. help ASAP would be awesome as i plan on doing a wipe very soon
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:15 am   

If you are still using the older version that made use of the eLicense system, then you should definitely use the unlicense prior to your reformat. I would also suggest in that case that you consider upgrading. The new system only restricts how often you can retrieve a license key and how long a given key is valid for. I believe that the time limits are 7 days until the retrieved key expires and 30 days between requests, but I am not entirely sure.
Jonesey

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:59 am   

So heres my problem, i reformatted, put in the old lisence and it told me to i need to upgrade, one problem, i paid this guy in my neighborhood to give me his spare password, back when 3 were given, according to what i know that was legit, cause he paid for it and chose to share it with me. He has moved and i cant get in contact with him.. any other way i can do it? i mean i dont have a credit card, and i "paid" for it(cash to the person irl) so what can i do about this?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:17 am   

That license is going to have other information attached to it. Since license issues need to be emailed to Zugg or Chiara anyways, I'd suggest providing the license number and the name of the person who gave it to you. If verified, I don't really see too many reasons why Zugg would still deny you an upgraded license key.

Beyond that, I'd say you were out of luck and need to start saving up.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:08 am   

I don't think 3 licenses were given out in the way you're thinking of Jonesey. One license was given with permission to run on up to 3 PCs belonging to the same person/household, not to sell on in pieces to other people. There are other ways to buy properly though without a credit card. Take a look at
https://www.zuggsoft.com/store/help.php?section=FAQ
and scroll down to 'Can I buy anything without using a credit card?'

And just think, buy now and you get a free upgrade to cMUD when it's out in a couple of weeks - a shiny new program for your shiny new Windows build. Mmmmm
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:28 pm   

Quote:
So heres my problem, i reformatted, put in the old lisence and it told me to i need to upgrade, one problem, i paid this guy in my neighborhood to give me his spare password, back when 3 were given, according to what i know that was legit, cause he paid for it and chose to share it with me. He has moved and i cant get in contact with him.. any other way i can do it? i mean i dont have a credit card, and i "paid" for it(cash to the person irl) so what can i do about this?

Unfortunately, by sharing his code with you, the person you got it from violated the user agreement. Codes are licensed to a person. Our acceptable use policy considers 3 computers per person to be reasonable, home, work, laptop, or some combination. Thats why the codes gave 3 licenses under the Elicense system.

While we generally turn a blind eye to sharing withing a household, parents and children, husbands and wives, technically that is also a violation of the licensing agreement.

So, unfortunately you were scammed by the person who sold you 'part' of his code.

Chiara
Jonesey

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:37 pm   

so pretty much i need to buy zmud again? i mean i didnt know i was scammed as you guys said... ill look into it, thanks alot
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: