Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:10 am   

[Tutorial] Running CMUD On Linux or Mac OSX

I know many people out there, especially Mac users, who struggle to find a good MUD client that comes even remotely close to zMUD/CMUD. For those like myself using Linux (any flavor, mine are Mandriva & Fedora), we have a few decent ones such as gMUDix/MUDix and Kmuddy... but they still aren't quite on par with Zugg's products. So, for a long time I've been running Windows XP inside of VMWare in unity mode in order to run zMUD under Linux. That gets old. So, I recently shelled out the money for Crossover Pro, which contains Crossover Standard (formerly Crossover Office) and Crossover Games both. I'm happy to report that CMUD works (in as much as I've tested it very limited) under both CX Office 10 and CX Games 10. zMUD also works, but requires a bit of a tweak to get started. I'll post that tutorial in the zMUD forum.

So, how did I do it?
Easy. As "root" I installed CX Pro (Office & Games)
Then I installed CMUD into a new WinXP bottle named MUD leaving everything else default.
Once completed I chose not to run it instantly. Instead I let the installer system close down and go away.
Then, from my Linux menu (equivalent of Windoze "Start" menu) I chose CMUD and ran it.
It opened quickly and allowed me to enter my registration code.
Once registration and license acceptance were completed, it brought me to the character selection screen.

That concludes my testing so far, in my next installment I'll discuss character creation and scripting to see if those work. Thanks.

PS: If a Mod could sticky this, that would be wonderful.

NOTE: To use non native script via the Windows Scripting Engine, you'll have to install the scripting engine stuff into the bottle as well. Crossover allows you to do VBScript and JScript from their interface... it even downloads them for you. Anything else you'll have to do yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:05 am   

I have ran Cmud Pro 3.34 in Ubuntu 11 using Crossover Pro 10 for a couple of months. I find that it is slow in executing movement using the mapper and that sometimes the colors get messed up on the output window which requires a restart. Also, I found the theme color would randomly change upon each start. Running 3.34 in Ubuntu on my desktop which has a quad core and it is bearable--- using 3.34 in Ubuntu on my netbook with Atom is dreadfully slow.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:08 am   

I'm not having any speed issues, but I don't use the mapper. I memorize the MUDs I play. I've also yet to have any color issues. Could be one of the libraries included from the distro causing that.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:21 am   

I find the mapper can be slow at times on windows XP, especially when changing between zones, so don't let that bias your opinion.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:21 am   

shalimar wrote:
I find the mapper can be slow at times on windows XP, especially when changing between zones, so don't let that bias your opinion.

And since the Crossover Bottle in question is emulating WinXP....
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:04 am   

How do you know what OS Jarad2002's crossover bottle is emulating? He didn't say...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:15 pm   

Thanks for posting this information but I'm afraid I can't sticky it since it would imply official support for CMUD on Mac and linux. I think what you have basically confirmed is that CMUD works fine in virtual environments such as Crossover. I've also personally used VMWare Fusion on a Mac.

Keep in mind that CMUD uses the Windows API for all graphics and screen drawing and this will always be slower in virtual machines.
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:10 pm   

Hence the move from VMWare to Crossover, because crossover has virtually no overhead and is just a reimplementation of the Windows API for Linux it does play at almost native speed :)

And I understand about the sticky. What if we edited the title to have [Unofficial] in it? ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: