Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:23 pm   

Concatenating blanks at the beginning of a string.

I would like to understand why the following:
Code:

$day = %concat(" ",%right($day,1))

does not prefix the string with a blank. The string has "08" in it and I want to turn it into " 8". But the above code will return "8". Now I am doing further concatantions so it could all be lost in the process. Still, for whatever reason, the blank is being edited.
The final concatenation looks as follows:
Code:

timestamp = %concat($dow," ",$mon," ",$day)

So @timestamp should contain "Sat Mar 8", but no matter what I do it always contains "Sat Mar 8".

EDIT: I just looked at the result here. It does the same! There should be 2 blanks in 'contain "..."' after "Mar" but even here it shows as one space...
So it seems that a rule that says "let's compact all blanks between two non-blank characters to the minimum" is effect, and that this forum editor and the Settings Editor are using the same routine.
Test... "x y" <--- It does it here, also. There should be two blanks between x and y.
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:53 pm   

Try using %char(32) instead of " " for spaces, in several cases, especialy at beginning of strings, cmud will eat spaces, but if you use the %char function they are added.
JQuilici
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:05 pm   Re: Concatenating blanks at the beginning of a string.

Anaristos wrote:
So it seems that a rule that says "let's compact all blanks between two non-blank characters to the minimum" is effect, and that this forum editor and the Settings Editor are using the same routine.
Test... "x y" <--- It does it here, also. There should be two blanks between x and y.

It's not the forum doing it...it's your web browser. Try quoting your own post to see. Wink
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:14 pm   

I understand what you are saying. That doesn't explain why it is happening also in the Settings Editor. There is no intermidiary web browser in that situation.
Either the string variable was compacted or %concat does not insert blanks if the subject string already begins with one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: