Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
N86eAL
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:09 pm   

The ESC button.

So, after creating a lot of different run macros, I suddenly felt a crippled feeling inside my body. I have a G11 keyboard, with a lot of extra buttons on the left side(18 to be precise), and they are nice. I have a run macro on each button, going to a specific area, and then continuing through these areas, visiting all the spots I want to visit. This can be between 10-30 different spots on each button. I also have F1-F4 to be used as attack buttons, where I can store names that I want to attack.

The problems that I have are:

1. Having a lot of run macros is good, but at some point, you will mess up, i.e pressing the wrong button. Even though this problem might be less troublesome, it can be hazardous at some places(drowing, running into aggro mobs, etc). I want to remove this problem.

2. The buttons are quite far away from each other, and running my hand over the keyboard like crazy is something I don't want to do.

My solution is to use the ESC button as a dynamic run macro, but it is locked. Pressing it will remove/reset my current input or something, and when trying to make a macro with it, cmud refuses politely. Is there a way to strip the ESC button from its main function, so that I can use it? Even though F5 also is a good candidate for this purpose, it just feels like shot to use the second best solution.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:05 am   

You can try the Macros over ride Menu Shortcuts option, but I don't think that will quite do what you want.

A better alternative may be to use a combination like Alt + Esc
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:50 am   

Using Alt-ESC won't do it, since I will need to place my hand in an awkward position. Plus, I want to use ESC because it is easy to use relative to my F-buttons.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:26 pm   

NVM
N86eAL
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:50 am   

OK, I solved my problem without the ESC, using the key for division at the numpad. This will make it extremely more comfortable when running through an area, just because I don't have to move my left hand, nor do I have to move my right one either(that much). Now I start by pressing one of the G-buttons to choose which area I want to go to, then I just press the /-button to continue walking to the next spawn.
mandy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:22 pm   

If I understand what you are trying to do:
Macro 1 takes your to place 1
Macro 2 takes you from place 1 to place 2
Macro 3 takes you from place 2 to place 3
Correct?

If I might make a recommendation put them all in their own class, have all disabled but number 1, then at the end of number 1, have it enable number 2, then at the end of number 2 have it activate number 3
N86eAL
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:47 pm   

You were incorrect in your assumptions. I have made it like this.

Alias area1 takes me to place 1, 2, 3, 4,..., 22. Basically, the alias will change when being pressed.(I mean, using 22 buttons would suck, right? :P ). Then I put this alias into on G-button. I also have area2,..., area5, that all work like this, but is slightly short/longer. The problem here is that if I use the alias for area1, and is mideway through, then accidently press the key for area2, I will land somewhere else. THis somewhere else may be at this extremely large aggro monster, or in the middle of the sea, where I will drown. It is also annoying to move my left hand everytime I want to walk(from F1 to G13 for example. SW corner of your keyboard).

Therefore, my solution was to leave the real walking to my right hand, more specific the button for division at your numpad(Just over number 8). This is also a dynamic button. The button has IF-statements, checking if I am walking in area1, area2 and so on. So basically, when I want to exp I go to CS in town, then press the corresponding button for my area, maybe area1. Swosh, I run and stop at the first spawn. I kill them, then I press the /-button and away I go, then stop again at a spawn. I kill, and press the /-button to go to the next spawn.

Don't know how you would have solved it, but my solution is that my alias is built upon several IF-statements, for example like this

Code:

#IF (@area1 == 2) {
3 n
5 e
10 s
}
#IF (@area1 == 1) {
10 s
5 w
3 s
dd 2
}

where dd will change the value of area1, and where going to CS will automaticlly give area1 the value of 1, since that is the startlocation of ALL my runs. This code will make you run 10 s, 5 w, 3 s, then stop there. Then when you want back, you press it again, and you are back at the start, of course only working if the value of area1 is 1 at the beginning.
mandy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:42 am   

Wow, never thought of something like that - I'm gonna have to experiment and now is the perfect time cause im trying to do the full zmud to cmud conversion thing and decided i would re-do my directions to clean them up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: