Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Jim Vance
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:29 pm   

Needed: Script for entering mapper information

I am currently in the process of creating a MUD using the zMUD automapper. I laid out the rooms with the keyboard creation feature. I have a script that captures a room's information using the %roomname, %roomid, %roomdesc, %roomnote, and %roomflag functions. The script will create a room using the information in the map database, but I haven't put any there yet. And, being the ambitiously lazy person that I am, I want to create a script that will allow me to input all the room information for a specific room right from the command line. The script will be called "roominfo" and will start the entry process. The bolded lettering will be some sort of prompt by the script.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
<Sets the Current Position on the first room>
roominfo <enter>
Type file name for room:
/domains/jim/area/rooms/room01 <enter>
Type a short name for the room:
My Room <enter>
Type the daytime description for the room:
Sunlight streams into my room, which is very messy. <enter>
Type the nighttime description:
Stars twinkle through the window of my room, which is quite messy. <enter>
Type the climate for the room:
indoors <enter>
All room information entered.
<end of script, move to next room>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have five aliases that will enter all the info, but it just takes too damn long. I'd like one script I can use offline to populate the information in my map, which I will then use to create rooms online in my MUD. Can anyone give me a heads-up on what to do?

Thanks.

Jim
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:29 am   

Try the #prompt command, or use a single alias and group the parameters with {} or "" to stop spaces being a problem.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Jim Vance
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:33 am   

Okay, let me be more specific.
I don't want another window (as in the #PROMPT command), I want to enter all this information from the command line.
I would like to type a single alias, which will then start the script and take all the information I type in one line until I hit enter.
I would like the bolded questions to show up in the main window after I enter the preceding information.

That's really all I need help with. I know how to get the information into the mapper. I know how I want to get the information out of the mapper. I just don't know how to enter the information line by line, while it waits for me to hit enter in order to move to the next step. It might be really simple, I just don't know.

Jim
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:30 pm   

Use an oninput trigger with a match-anything pattern to detect when you've entered something and display the next question, and use the #mxp command with the <b> tag to create the bold text. You can either have one trigger with a variable containing the question number so it knows what to print, or a series of oninput states in a multistate trigger.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: